Sunday, February 21, 2010

We woke up to another multi-inch snowfall this morning. For the past few days it's been clear and sunny, and we haven't had snow for several weeks. Just as I thought my spring gardening schedule was off to a flying start.

Part of the physiological changes involved in pregnancy give me a skewed sleep schedule. I woke up at 4.30AM the other morning, and after laying in bed for half an hour, decided I wasn't going to get back to sleep anytime soon; I got up and made a coffeecake: it didn't last long. Instead of Mardi Gras, here we celebrate a very sedate tradition on the day before Lent called Pancake Day. All over the country people make/buy pancakes on this very special day. British pancakes are actually more like crepes which are filled with various fillings, then rolled up to eat. I understand that on Pancake Day itself, the pancakes are sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar before rolling. We went the more avant-garde route with butter and icing sugar, jam, or nutella. If you don't know nutella, I'm very sorry for you.Partner tells me that pancakes in this country are often filled with savory fillings like ground beef and cheese. This is SO gross.

No comments: